Thursday, 7 June 2012

Rue's Wings







While I was away over Easter I took some yarn and some needles and an intention to knit a square shawl. After hours of trying to knit in a sqaure, I didn't really like the effect which was developing. After frogging the work, this is what developed. At the time I was reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I was inspired to name this shawl after the character of Rue - a young girl from a district famed for its farming. The central pattern consists of a ripple pattern which can look like feathers or grain. The outer sections contain a lace pattern reminiscient of grain and blosson leading to a leafy outer border.





My friend Stitched-Together has knitted this lovely version in beautiful berry stripes It's amazing how different yarns alter the way that a pattern looks. This version by one of my testers shows the same pattern in a yarn which evolves in colour. The subtle changes in what initially looks like a solid coloured yarn create a very stylish shawl. Thank you, Becca for knitting my pattern.
 


 

No comments: